November Social Media Topic: Diabetes Awareness
- November is National #DiabetesAwareness Month.
- 567,000 Kentuckians (15.3%) are living with diabetes. Nationally, over 30 million (9.4%) have diabetes. Nearly 25% of cases are undiagnosed. #diabetesawareness
- In 2017, diagnosed diabetes cost an estimated $327 billion nationwide in medical costs and reduced workplace productivity. #diabetesawareness
- Average medical expenditures among people with diagnosed diabetes were 2.3 times higher than what expenditures would be in the absence of diabetes. #diabetesawareness
- In 2015, diabetes was the 7th leading cause of death in the United States. #diabetesawareness
- Over 1.1 million Kentuckians (35.5% of adult population) have prediabetes. 90% are unaware they have it, greatly increasing health risks. #diabetesawareness
- Programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program reduce the number of new cases of type 2 diabetes by 58%! #diabetesawareness
- Modest weight loss and regular, moderate physical activity can delay or even prevent type 2 diabetes among adults at risk. #diabetesawareness
- The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program helps people at high risk for type 2 diabetes reduce their risk by making simple, sustainable lifestyle changes. #diabetesawareness
Additional Resources and Information
- Download additional Diabetes Awareness videos and images to use in posts and share.
- YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program: https://www.ymcalouisville.org/healthy-living/health-well-being-fitness/ymca-diabetes-prevention-program.html
- American Diabetes Association National Statistics: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/statistics/
- American Diabetes Association Kentucky Statistics: http://main.diabetes.org/dorg/assets/pdfs/advocacy/state-fact-sheets/Kentucky2018.pdf
- For more information about the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, please contact Krista Fanelli at email@example.com.